Our SDS® Athlete interview with Astrid Sibon, a dynamic and inspirational figure in the world of Ninja Warrior Switzerland and Europe. From gymnastics to ice speed-skating, and now dominating the Ninja Warrior scene, Astrid shares the highs, lows, and the dance moves that keep her mind relaxed before showdowns.
THE WARRIOR WITHIN
"There is only one version of yourself. Take care of it."
1. Background and Early Influences: Q: Can you share a bit about your background and how you first got into your sport?
[I] I've had a diverse journey in sports, starting with gymnastics and then exploring soccer, horse riding, fitness, and even ice speed-skating. It wasn't until the Ninja Warrior show hit Holland in 2017 that I found my true calling. I moved to Switzerland, competed there in 2018, and the rest is history.
2. Role Models and Inspiration: Q: Were there any athletes or role models who inspired you when you were starting out?
[I] Watching American Ninja Warriors on Facebook, Jessie Graff caught my eye. She became my role model, and I knew I wanted to do what she was doing.
3. Training Routine and Motivation: Q: What does a typical day of training look like for you? How do you stay motivated during challenging training sessions?
[I] I love training before work, hitting the gym for functional or ninja workouts. Bouldering, parkour, and gymnastics sessions are also on the agenda. Training with my boyfriend keeps us both motivated, and keeping my big goals in mind is key.
4. Memorable Achievements: Q: Can you share a memorable experience or achievement that stands out to you?
[I] Winning the Last Woman Standing Title in the Allstars edition of Ninja Warrior Germany in 2021. Overcoming a lack of joy in the sport the previous year, it was a turning point in my career.
5. Overcoming Challenges: Q: Have there been any significant challenges or setbacks in your career, and how did you overcome them?
[I] Dealing with the mental pressure of being a role model on a show was tough. A blackout during Team Ninja Warrior Germany was a low point, but mental training and support from my team helped me bounce back.
6. Competition and Growth: Q: How has competition with certain athletes influenced your own performance?
[I] Competing with others always pushes you to become better. Believing in yourself and respecting others is crucial in driving the sport forward.
7. Rituals and Routines: Q: Do you have any pre-game or pre-competition rituals or routines?
[I] Dance is my go-to ritual. It warms up my body and relaxes my mind before the showdown.
8. Balancing Career and Personal Life: Q: How do you balance the demands of your athletic career with personal life and other commitments?
[I] Initially working 100% was a challenge, but reducing to 80% and having a boyfriend who shares my passion made it easier. Now, with my own company, I find more time for training and competitions.
9. Beyond the Sport: Q: Are there any hobbies or activities you enjoy outside of your sport?
[I] I enjoy sports-related hobbies like cliff diving, skiing, surfing, and skating. But I also love escape rooms, saunas, and a good Netflix binge.
10. Advice for Aspiring Athletes: Q: What advice would you give to young athletes who aspire to follow in your footsteps?
[I] Always remember why you do the sport—find joy in it. Believe in yourself, think of the big goal, and be consistent.
11. Lessons Learned and Future Goals: Q: Are there any lessons you've learned in your career that you wish you knew when you were starting out?
[I] Comparing myself with others and underestimating them was a mistake. I've learned to stay true to myself and be kind to others.
Q: What are your current athletic goals, both short-term and long-term? How do you envision your role in the sport evolving in the coming years?
[I] I have some smaller competitions coming up for fun and hope to compete overseas in other countries on the Ninja Warrior show. As a role model, I aim to drive the sport forward in Europe and spread my name across countries.
12. Inspiring Others: Q: In what ways do you hope to inspire others through your athletic journey?
[I] I hope everyone working on a better version of themselves achieves their goals and never lets obstacles stop them.
This was an insightful first interview with Astrid and we look forward to creating some informative content that give us a window into what it means to train as a Ninja Warrior! Follow Astrid on instagram @ninjastrid93